Monday, November 18, 2013

Vet Checks

So I'm sad to say that I won't be able to continue with the purchase of Corona. Just before we were going to move him to his new home, I had asked our vet to come and perform a pre purchase vet check. It was pretty extensive and they gave him a clean bill of health. Just before we finished up the vet asked if we wanted a blood test to see a snapshot of what his health before we move him. I figured since I would have it done anyways after the move then what could it hurt.

Well his Blood Urea Nitrogen  (BUN) test came back with some abnormalities. It appears that he has 2x the levels of a normal horse his age as well as elevated creatinine & calcium. The doctor explained to me that this means he has decreased kidney function and could lead to kidney and renal failure as well as  dehydration or worse. So this would rule him out for any endurance rides or long workouts in the future.

This just broke my heart. I can handle training issues but this is something I could never fix. Theres a chance he would need dialysis in the near future and I can't sign up for that. Im going to stop by tomorrow and give him my goodbyes. I don't think he is in any danger of not being sold.. he would make a great horse for arena and short trail rides.

Im so glad we got this test...le sigh.

0 comments :

Post a Comment